Città di Fermo

English flag Versione italiana | rss | a a a

International relationship

22-Teatro_Municipal_y_Plaza_PayrA__BahA_a_Blanca-copia

The city of Ferrno has arranged numerous twinnings and other agreements with Eu-
ropean and non European cities, in order to develop its international policy and facilitate exchanges in the fields of culture business and tourism.
Fermo is formally twinned with the cities of Bahia Blanca (8 August 1990), Berat (9 May 2006) and Ansbach (15 June 2006). Bahia Blanca located south-east of the argentinean capital Buenos Aires, with a population of 350,000 among whom numerous emigrants from the Marche and Fermo, is one of the leading economic and commercial centres in the country, thanks to the presence of one of the largest and well-equipped ports in South America.
Ansbach is the capital of Middle Franconia, an administrative region in the Länd of Bavaria, the former residence of the Margraves and the dynasty of the Hohenzollerr, as witnessed even today by the ancient castle of the Margraves with twenty seven rooms in Rococo style. In the summer the city hosts a famous international music festival devoted to Johann Sebastian Bach.
The old castle of Berat, called by the Romans Albanorum Oppidum, is a unique “stone archive”, with monuments in architectural styles and contributions from Roman, Byzantine, Albanian and Ottoman times, an evident sign of the culture and economic supremacy of the city, which is also famous for the precious collections of its National Iconographic Museum. The recent twinning with the city of Ansbach should be seen in the context of the European exchanges already underway with other countries such as Sweden (Stockholm and Falun) and Norway (Lofoten lslands).
Moreover retracing the routes of Christopher Columbus towards Spain, a relationship began between Fermo and the Diputación di Valladolid, the city in which the Genoan navigator died on 1506. Fermo conserves in its Civic Library, the precious Epistola de su gran descubrimiento, an incunabulum from 1493, one of only seven in existence in the world, which was the premise for exchange relations with the city of Vailadolid and the Fundaciòn Museo de Las Ferias in Medina del Campo.